What are some ways you can teach the vocabulary presented within science and social studies?
There are many ways to teach vocabulary that come up in science and social studies classes. Since the majority of what is being learned is new vocabulary, it is important to have a system to memorizing the new words. I think that flashcards are a good start to expose the student to the new vocabulary. I like to have games to help make the vocabulary stick. Jeopardy is a fun way to help learn/review vocabulary. ing the definitions the questions and the words the answers, the students can try and guess the words. You can provide a word list or not; and you can provide choices if needed. There are many many games that can incorporate vocabulary.
How can you prepare to teach both of these subject areas?
I think that once the student has the vocabulary down and understands what the words are, you can go more in depth into the topics. There has to be a basis of the vocabulary before you can build on it. I think from there making things visual can make things more clear. If talking about plant parts in science, pulling up a picture of a plant or even a model or real plant that the student can relate to can help to attach the vocabulary to real life things and to help make the science concepts more tangible.
No comments:
Post a Comment