Students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing often have difficulty socializing and making friends with their peers. How can you address this with your classroom?
I think that it's important to address any questions the student's classmates may have. I wouldn't want to single out the student, but by just explaining the interpreter and what they're for, maybe about the CI/HA, can help to alleviate all the questions and tension that is around the student and making friends. If the student utilizes an interpreter, I think it's important to tell the students about the interpreter. Students with a hearing loss still want to make friends just like students who don't have a hearing loss. It is difficult sometimes for them because there can be such a communication barrier, but if we help to educate their peers, this can help to alleviate some stress for the student.
Communicating with parents is very important. What are some ways you can communicate with parents and is there a better way than another?
I think parents vary on which method of communication they prefer; some parents are best contacted through email, others through phone calls. I think that phone calls are great to keep in contact with parents just to give a few phone calls just to update them on their student's successes and progresses. This makes you seem available to the parents, so if they have any questions or comments they feel comfortable contacting you. But some parents do not like talking on the phone or are unavailable most hours of the day. In these cases, emailing or texting may be more appropriate. It is an individual teacher's choice if they want to give parents their person cell phone number. I will personally determine during the year if I find that appropriate or not for me. I do know that no matter the method, I will keep open contact with parents to form a positive relationship with them, and make them feel open to contacting me whenever they feel the need.
No comments:
Post a Comment