Several
approaches and suggestions were mentioned by the authors,
however challenges continue to impact educating students who are D/HH. In
thinking of your classroom, what components of reading and writing do you feel
are important to teach and how will you teach them?
There are SO many reading methods and programs out there that I think it's important to focus on the one that works for a particular student. I think all students should have the same start with reading, with letter recognition and letter-sound correspondence. Whether that's through auditory only or with the aid of visual phonics, it is important to teach the students this basic stepping stool for reading. I have personally used visual phonics and seen it work phenomenally so I will definitely be using it in my future classroom. I also like cued speech, and if that would help the student I would be willing to fine tune my cueing abilities if that is what they would need to succeed. From there, I think it would depend on the student; if one student would benefit more from the Reading Milestones program, than that is what I would focus on, but that might not be what another student would succeed with. We mentioned in class about consistency and sticking with the same program, and I think that's key. Once a program is helping a student to succeed, I think it's important to continue with that program. If a student is excelling with the aid of visual phonics, then it is important to continue using it.
No comments:
Post a Comment