Educational placement for students with hearing loss has been a long debate. what are your thoughts about educating students within the "mainstream" versus in a centralized program/school?
I think each student is different. While some students may thrive in and prefer a mainstream environment, some students with a hearing loss would not succeed as much in a mainstream environment. I think each student needs to be looked at differently. Their family also plays a key part in the decision of where the student would be best fit. Some families have more of a preference where their children are placed, where are some families are less involved. Each student is going to have different families, different communication modes and different goals, so each student should be placed in the environment where they are going to succeed most. If one placement doesn't appear to be working, I think the decision should be re-assessed.
How do you plan to take data? Will you take data every day vs. once in a while? When is it important to take data?
I think it is important to take data when working on assignments that will be meeting IEP goals. For example, if one of the student's goals is to be able to add two digit numbers with 100% accuracy, I would keep track of the students assignments or problems that are worked on during your time together. Also if the student is going through any evaluations, for example transitioning from elementary to middle school, it is important to collect data on what is worked on and how they are doing for the next teacher. I plan on taking data every day through observations and through +/- systems. I plan on making notes of how the student was that day, and also about their amplification, if it was working etc. I also like the +/- system for keeping track of a students progress. If you want to work on listening for their name, every time their name is presented, put a plus if they responded, plus/minus if they responded after multiple attempts, and minus if they didn't get it. That method is easy to keep track of and easy for people to read if another teacher or staff member needs the data.
No comments:
Post a Comment