What have you learned about instructional strategies?
In the beginning of class when asked to define instructional strategies, I couldn't think of how to describe it. I knew that it was the way that we as teachers present various information, but could not think of specific examples. After class discussion and videos, I have a very strong grasp on what instructional strategies are and examples that I can use in my own classroom. I learned that there are 5 different categories of instruction, and I will most likely utilize the direct, indirect, and interactive instruction. It was also great in class to learn where we could access this information and learn ways to find the methods or strategies. I was given multiple websites to use which I will place links to at the end of the post.
What would you like to learn during this class?
I think so far we are on a great path! I would love to learn different strategies and methods to be able to provide students with the best education I can. By learning all these different instructional strategies, behavioral management techniques and much much more, I will feel a lot more confident going into student teaching.
Research has shown that students with hearing loss often times do not achieve higher than a 3rd grade reading level. What are your thoughts about this and who do you plan to face this?
Every time I hear that statistic it makes me sad and frustrated. I think that the more I learn about the different methods and techniques to helping a student with a hearing loss learn to read can help to make the concept easier for students. By learning about Cued Speech, Visual Phonics and learning about current ideas and studies about reading, I think that will help to start to make that statistic not true any more.
Here are the links for the instructional strategies websites:
Deaf Education
Raising Deaf Kids
Clerc Center--Gallaudet University
I love the format of your blog and how you set it up like a journal with your own voice really coming through. I love that you posted the links that we went over in class. Also, I agree with your statement that the statistic is frustrating and also overwhelming, I think. I want so badly to bring reading to my students because it is such a massive part of my life. I hope that this next generation of deaf educators can make that statistic go away and that all children deaf or otherwise can have access to the world of literacy.
ReplyDelete